St. Paddy Celebrations
From appetizer to dessert, recipes for a green St. Paddy's meal. Enjoy!
Lucky Leprechaun Dip by Kathy Patalsky
1 can white cannellini beans (1.5 cups), drain/rinse in hot water
1 c kale (fresh or frozen)
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice + pinch lemon zest
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 dashes cayenne
1/4 c raw cashews (no need to soak if use high-speed blender)
1 1/2 T Tahini
1/4+ c warm water
1/4 c chopped parsley, flat leaf
optional: garlic powder or roasted garlic
In high-speed blender, blend all ingredients from low to high, until silky & smooth. If needed, add a few splashes of water to blend smooth. (It will firm up in the fridge.)
Pour in serving dish; chill in fridge for 1 hour or overnight. Decorate with parsley.
Irish White Bean and Cabbage Stew by FatFree Vegan Kitchen
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
1-1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut in large dice
1/3 c pearled barley optional or a gluten-free grain
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
6-8 c vegetable broth
3 c cooked great northern beans (2 cans, drained)
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 T chopped parsley
salt to taste
Put vegetables, seasonings, barley, & broth into large stockpot. Cover & simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 min. Add remaining ingredients, check seasonings; add more herbs if needed. Simmer uncovered for at least 15 min. before serving.
Slow Cooker Green Beans and Tofu from Lulu Cooks and Tells
3 c green beans 1 onion, sliced 8 oz tofu, cut in large cubes 1/4 c soy sauce juice 1 lemon 1/4 c water 1 tsp garlic powder (or more to taste) 1 tsp sugar black pepper to taste
Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook 3 hours at high setting. Eat as a side dish, or as a main dish with rice.
2 c cooked green lentils
1 package frozen vegetable blend (cooked)
6-8 medium russet potatoes
2 T unsweetened soy milk
1 c vegetable broth
1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
2 T brown rice flour
1 tsp thyme
1. Place cooked lentils & cooked vegetables on bottom of 9x12" baking dish.
2. In saucepan, bring veggies broth to boil. Add garlic & onion powders. Slowly stir in brown rice flour; whisk 'til thick like gravy. Pour over lentils/vegetable blend; mix well.
3. Peel potatoes & cut into small pieces; set in large cooking pot filled with cold water just covering potatoes. Boil until potatoes are soft. Strain water. Mash with soy milk.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Place mashed potatoes on top of the vegetable/lentil gravy mixture; smooth down with a spoon.
6. Bake 20 min. Let cool; sprinkle thyme on top.
Shamrock Shake from Kathy Patalsky
1 c non-dairy milk 1 c non-dairy milk ice cubes 1 banana, frozen 1/2 tsp matcha tea leaves 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
Freeze non-dairy milk (almond, soy, coconut) into ice cubes several hours ahead of time. Then, put all ingredients in blender; blend 'til smooth! Garnish with fresh mint.